The Incredible Benefits of Bouncing/Jumping/Rebounding!
Written By: Angie Voss, OTR
Vertical vestibular input (bouncing, jumping, rebounding) is the most tolerated form/plane of vestibular input and provides incredible sensory and overall health benefits for ALL of us. Here are 10 reasons to get to jumping, hopping and bouncing! My personal favorite is using a BOSU ball or trampoline, and my son's is a pogo stick! His record is over 800 hops without stopping! A hippity hop ball is also a great option. I personally use the BOSU ball in our home everyday for 10-15 minutes, sometimes all at one time, and sometimes in 5 minute increments. I can absolutely notice a difference when I don't do it.
10 reasons to incorporate bouncing in to the day...
1. Bouncing supports self-regulation...it can be calming or alerting, depending on the needs of the nervous system at any given moment
2. It provides proprioceptive input to the spine and lower body joints, which is also calming, organizing, and regulating
3. Improves body awareness and body in space
4. Helps the lymphatic system with circulation and drainage
5. Improves core strength
6. Movement helps the auditory system process
7. Improves lower body proximal stability and weight shifting
8. Supports attention to task and cognition
9. Supports visual processing and visual motor development
10. It is meaningful, purposeful, and fun!
Here is an excellent article about the benefits of rebounding for ALL of us!